Sunday 14 October 2012

Egglicious.. The Egg Factory..!!

Last month, during one of the sedentary weekends, as is my want, I was wandering down Bangalore roads trying to find new places to eat and try out new cuisines. Close to my home, I did find a novelty - The Egg factory in JP Nagar. They also have another location centrally placed in the city on St Marks Road (for interested folks). A quick check with the folks runnnig it threw up some interesting facts - they came into existence around 2008 desiring to cater to the veggies who are also eggaterians. A place that is easily accessible, pays homage to eggs in all their dishes and has a global outlook in terms of dishes served. The one that I visited was in JP Nagar, opposite HP Petrol Pumps on the the main ring road. A nice airy place, with seating both inside and outside, an open kitchen and warm friendly rustic atmosphere.  A quick glance at the menu showed me, unlike the roadside dhabas that we used to visit during college days which were the biggest and best source of egg dishes, the number of dishe out here are pretty high catering to varied tastes, both local and international. From Texan fajitas, to Egg Burjees and the local Kothu Paratha, you get to choose across the board.
I quickly chosethe Fajitas while my wife chose the Eggs Florentine and I added a side order of original French toast to round it off. To drink, I ordered a What's up Doc while my wife ordered the Pink Lady.
First the Fajitas - 2 tortillas, sauteed veggies, sour cream, pico de gallo and a choice of scrambled eggs. I chose my scrambled eggs with jalapenos, tomatoes and onions. The tortiallas were fresh, warm and light and the veggies were perfectly steamed. The cream was fresh and the scrambled eggs were perfection indeed with more than a generous smattering of jalapenos, tomatoes and onions. The dish was not too spicy and definitely not bland - with a touch of pepper, salt and tabasco sauce the taste depths perk up quite a bit.A perfect breakfast dish to start off with, in spite of being light fills you up nice. Reminded me of the dhaba outside our college which used to be our breakfast joint on most weekends.
Next the Eggs Florentine - a traditonal dish from the West and innovatively captured, I should say. Soft boiled eggs with spinach dressing and a creamy white sauce (traditionally Hollandiase) topped with Parmesan cheese. The eggs were perfectly done and the sauce was silky smooth. The dish is a little bland according to our Indian spice tastes but garnished right with salt and pepper, it acquires a fine taste indeed. The bread was done right, crisp and freshly baked - all in all a neatly done breakfast starter. I would have loved a little bit more of spinach considering Florentine means a bed of spinach but a small oversight which does not detract too much from this dish on its own.

Hmm French toasts.. they are an eternal favorite of mine and I am pretty particular how I want them. I must confess that I was a little disappointed with this dish here. They served 4 slices with maple syrup - traidtional style. First of all, the bread was a little dense, ideally it should have been light fluffy and probably a little thinner too. The thickness of the slices put me off a bit. Then no cinnamon or sugar frosting on top of the slices which for me, is a big no-no :-) The maple syrup was good, no doubt and the dish was ok but it could have been great if they had worked on it a little bit more.


To drink we had the What's up Doc (a carrot juice with hint of lime) and the Pink Lady (cherries, almonds, banana with yoghurt and milk). The drinks were both refreshing coolers and fresh - i would recommend both anyday. The dessert being a strawberry cheesecake was delicious to say the least. It was soft, perfect consistency and really well done. It was more like a mousse and a perfect crumby base which gave it the crunchy texture to go against the sliky smoothness of the mousse with a tart strawberry coulis (sauce) on top. A light filling and delicious dessert to top it off - my brunch was done and dusted and I was happy and satisfied.
The bottomline - was I happy... definitely YEAH... would I go back.. YUP.. best part.. very easy on the wallet (this entire meal costs us only approx. Rs.600/- ) and fantastic choices for folks who don't do meat but love eggs...

Location: 288, 15th Cross, 18th Main, 5th Phase, opposite HP Petrol Pumps and Wine Baron, JP Nagar
Phone: 080-40124848
Wallet Factor: Medium
Ambience: Airy, open and rustic
 

No comments:

Post a Comment